What Should You Do after You Slipped and Fell?
Slipping and falling can be embarrassing, especially if you are in a public place when the accident happens. While you may be tempted to pretend that all is well and just leave the scene immediately, there are a few things you should consider before doing so. For example, did you know that slip and fall accidents are among the most common personal injury accidents causing serious injuries?
As common as they are, it is important to consider what you should do after a slip and fall accident. Here are some helpful tips:
- Report the Accident: Even if you are tempted to ignore the situation, you should report the accident and any injuries you suffered to the property owner, or whoever is in charge. Ask to file a formal report, and get a copy.
- Get Medical Attention: Slip and fall accidents can cause injuries ranging from a bruised ego to traumatic brain injuries. Get medical attention after any slip and fall accident to make sure you are not suffering from an unseen injury.
- Get Witness Information: If there were other people around you when you fell, ask them for their contact information. In the event that a claim is filed, you may need this information to prove your case.
- Start a File: Start a file and keep documents related to your slip and fall accident. Keep a copy of the formal report, any medical records, insurance documents, witness information, photos of your injuries, and any other information you find relevant.
- Contact an Attorney: Property owners are responsible for ensuring that their properties are safe and free from hazards. If your accident was caused by a hazard or danger that the owner should have known about or fixed, contact an attorney.
If your slip and fall accident was caused by a property owner’s negligence, you may be entitled to more compensation than just a basic insurance claim.