What Happens if I Get Into a Car Accident in Mexico or Canada?

If you are planning to travel to Mexico or Canada, there are some things that you should know about what will happen if you get into a car accident while outside the U.S.

What Happens if I Get Into a Car Accident in Mexico?

In Mexico, the process immediately following a car accident may be different than what you are used to here in the U.S. If you are involved in a car accident in Mexico, you may expect the following:

-Requirement to provide passport, proof of insurance, driver’s license, or visa.

-Claims adjusters may be dispatched immediately to the accident scene.

-Most insurance companies will immediately dispatch emergency services.

-In some accidents, Mexican authorities may arrest the parties involved, or take them to the police station until fault can be determined.

A couple important things to remember:

1. Most U.S. insurance carriers do not provide insurance coverage for Mexico. If you plan to travel out of the U.S., make sure you purchase specific coverage for where you are traveling.

2. If you are arrested or taken to a Mexican police station, do not panic. This is simply part of their process.

What Happens if I Get Into a Car Accident in Canada?

Canadian car accident laws and procedures are very similar to those here in the U.S. After a car accident, you should remember to:

-Contact authorities and obtain a police report.

-Contact your insurance company (you should request a Canada-specific card before driving across the border).

It is also important to remember that if you are injured due to someone else’s negligence, your case may be managed by a Canadian court, rather than a U.S. court.

Getting Help with Cross-Border Accidents

If you are in a car accident outside the U.S. it is advisable to contact an attorney who has experience handling cross-border accident cases. An attorney like Payton Kashani who is familiar with these complexities can help ensure you get the compensation and outcome you deserve.