June is Pride Month, and that means lots of festivals and events throughout California. Here are some of the upcoming Pride Festivals in June:
- Sacramento Pride – June 10th at Capitol Mall
- Pride San Mateo County Without Borders – June 16th at San Mateo Central Park
- West Hollywood Pride Parade & Festival – June 9-10th at
- San Francisco Pride – June 23-24th at Civic Center Plaza
- OC Pride Festival & Parade – June 23rd in Downtown Santa Ana
Pride festivals are a great way to celebrate the LGBTQ community. You should know that most pride festivals have some rules or policies about events. Local law enforcement often are active at event spaces and during parades. Regardless of where you choose to celebrate Pride, here are some tips for staying safe:
- Don’t attend events alone. There is safety in numbers.
- Give friends or family members your itinerary if traveling or staying overnight.
- Make sure your phone and electronics are fully charged.
- Write down important phone numbers in case your phone dies or is lost.
- Identify event officials, law enforcement outposts, and public places.
- If you see or experience violence, contact authorities immediately.
- Don’t accept drinks from strangers.
- Don’t leave valuables in your car.
Ultimately, staying safe during Pride festivals boils down to being smart and aware, and using good common sense.